Wednesday, March 01, 2023

POEMS FROM THE PAST

 










DREAMSCAPE

Stones, ancient stones,

bones of old earth she sat on,

Leaning against them while

Into the wine-dark sea

A molten sun sank.

 

Silence and darkness,

darkness and silence;

No god spoke here at Sounion,

No bard, nor hero - but

Their shadows never left her,

Companionable shades,

Leaning on staff or spear,

As she leaned against the columns,

Looking to seas uncharted

And lands as yet unknown.

© 12 August 2010 by Ruth Heredia

Dear Birje

This morning, early, an imprudent action dislocated my right thumb. Ah well, I have four fingers and a mind; my niece said "apricot" (I don't quite know why) & outside the bulbul was going through his new song (last year it was "pleased to meet you"). This followed:

DAYDREAM

Apricot days, give me apricot days,

And cerulean skies,

With breezes snapping laundry,

Ringing carillons on chimes,

Lucent leaves, blossoms glowing,

And a bulbul who just

Wants to dance,

Wants to dance,

Wants to dance with me!

© 8 June 2011 by Ruth Heredia

 




&

REFLECTION

 Light and colour,

Music and motion,

How little have I prized you,

Given unstintingly, nigh all my days,

And now shall I rue

The slowing down,

The blur, the failure,

Who took all as my due?

No, rather shall I give praise

For the days that remain,

And a bulbul’s song

The day long,

In all weathers!

 © 8 June 2011 by Ruth Heredia

About ten days ago there was this:

FIGURE OF EIGHT

Words enigmatic,

ecstatic,

mostly in music

- trad or mod –

make a poem.

How so? Try it.

 © 28 May 2011 by Ruth Heredia

Heaven knows what it means, but it's in 3 sets of 8 beats, and the last line is the cadence.

This sudden flow of words makes me feel quite dizzy. But, to paraphrase Edmundo Ros the Calypso Man, it feels so good to feel so - dizzy!

 Reply from Dr. Birjepatil:

Your delicate word play is as delightful as ever.

I admire the surefooted way you move from line to chiseled line.

I enjoyed all three seemingly 'effortless' efforts as much as the Calypso man would have done.

Ruth Heredia is the originator and holds the copyright to all material on this blog unless credited to some source. Please do not use it or pass it off as your own work. That is theft. If you wish to link it, quote it, or reprint in whole or in part, please be courteous enough to seek my permission.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How melodious and vivid! May I share your bulbul, your sky, your sun?

Ruth said...

Gladly with so appreciative a reader, dear Renuka!