Thursday, April 14, 2022

LUMEN CHRISTI

 







Christ our Light!

May the flame burn bright

of my baptismal candle,

flame united with yours.


To oil in my lamp, O Bridegroom,

that is to light a welcome

to your eternal feast,

turn my pain, my fear.

Oil of patience, trust, of love

like yours, Beloved,

may it be that feeds my flame.


When Gloria! we sing,

long-silent bells ring,

black shroud slides off

the great cross we face -

as mine I shall when dark has fled.

O Morning Star that never sets,

when Death’s shadow you lift,

show my cross as the key

to life eternal  lived in thee.


Ah! come to me Jesus,

take me into thy heart

never more from thee to part.

As I ate lunch on April 12, 2022, a temporary bodily affliction without cause overtook me.  It seemed to me that Satan was ratcheting up his daily assaults.  When it was over, I said to Jesus: “Lord, you are allowing Satan to attack me like this because you love me, and love me so much that you trust me not to lose faith in you.”  A spontaneous statement not thought through.  This poem was written two days later.

 © 14 April 2022 by Ruth Heredia

 Photo credit danielkedinger via Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND

 

Ruth Heredia is the originator and holds the copyright to all material on this blog unless credited to some source. Please do not use it or pass it off as your own work. That is theft. If you wish to link it, quote it, or reprint in whole or in part, please be courteous enough to seek my permission.


No comments: